Volunteering with us
We run our programs at two locations: Da Nang in Central Vietnam and Vi Thanh in Mekong Delta.
Da Nang is located on the central coast of Vietnam and is famous for its lush landscape of world-renowned beaches, jungle-covered mountains, and stunning bridges. Below we have compiled a short list of some of the activities that make central Vietnam the ideal setting to explore during down time.
During the weekday, volunteers will have some free time in the evening and this can be filled up with the following activities:
- Hanging out at cafes near the volunteer house ( Green House) to see the local way of life
- Visiting the city center’s many beautiful sites, including the Dragon Bridge which breathes fire on weekend nights
- Shopping at the local night market & sampling Vietnamese foods
- Having movie nights with other volunteers in the Green House living room
- Planning lessons and activities for the next days with volunteers and staff
On the weekends:
- Volunteers love to explore the many attractions in Da Nang such as: the Marble Mountains, Lady Buddha Temple, Han Market, Dragon Bridge, Ba Na Hills and the many world-renowned beaches.
- Make the short drive down to Hoi An, a preserved port town recognized as a UNESCO World Heritage site. Hoi An is perfect for a relaxing weekend getaway where volunteers get clothes tailor-made in the day and explore the lantern-filled city at night.
- Take the 2-hour train ride up to Hue, another UNESCO world heritage site and former imperial city. The train ride takes you along the coast and through the mountains of the Hai Van Pass.
VI THANH ( MEKONG DELTA)
Vi Thanh city is a small city with a population of about 60,000 and is the capital of the Hau Giang province. The city is located 40 km from Can Tho International Airport. The city is surrounded by many villages and the landscape is made up of rivers, lakes, and fruit gardens.
- Biking along the rivers and through the villages to discover many beautiful photo opportunities.
- Hang out at cafes along the river. Here you can interact with local people who are eager to practice English and learn about you.
- Volunteer Vietnam can arrange a local tutor to teach Vietnamese language and culture. These lessons cost about $10 per hour.
- The volunteer house is located near a large shopping center, Vincom Plaza. Here volunteers can have a coffee or see a movie at the cinema.
On weekends volunteers can stay in Vi Thanh or have a travel weekend. Our onsite staff are happy to help arrange trips for you. There is less staff at the volunteer house during the weekends and meals are only served through Saturday morning, giving volunteers more freedom to explore. However, there is still some staff onsite who can help arrange trips or give advice about local restaurants and activities. Travel activities we recommend are:
o Can Tho City: Can Tho is the capital of Mekong Delta and is one hour away from the volunteer house by car or bus. There you can explore floating markets and the traditional Mekong Delta lifestyle. There are many tours available in this area.
o Phu Quoc Islands: Phu Quoc is an island paradise known for beautiful white sand beaches. Volunteers can take a 1 hour bus ride to Rach Gia Harbor, and from there catch a speed boat to the islands. This area is highly recommended during your stay in southern Vietnam!
o Ho Chi Minh City: Volunteers can spend weekends in the city taking either a 3 hour bus ride or by catching a flight from nearby Can Tho airport. Ho Chi Minh is a large, vibrant Vietnamese city with many activities for volunteers to enjoy. Spend a weekend away shopping in markets, enjoying a wide array of dining options, or visiting cultural & historical landmarks.
𝐒𝐓𝐄𝐏 𝐁𝐘 𝐒𝐓𝐄𝐏 𝐑𝐎𝐎𝐌 𝐁𝐔𝐈𝐋𝐃𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐏𝐑𝐎𝐉𝐄𝐂𝐓 in Mekong Social Support Center12.04.2021A 𝘯𝘦𝘸𝘭𝘺 𝘚𝘵𝘦𝘱 𝘣𝘺 𝘚𝘵𝘦𝘱 𝘙𝘰𝘰𝘮 𝘩𝘢𝘴 𝘫𝘶𝘴𝘵 𝘣𝘦𝘦𝘯 𝘤𝘰𝘯𝘴𝘵𝘳𝘶𝘤𝘵𝘦𝘥 by the donation from 𝐋𝐞𝐬𝐥𝐢𝐞 ...READMORE...